Sunday, July 25, 2010

Constipated Souls

You guys don’t know much about me. You’ll learn as we go on. But one thing I can tell you now is I love a good book. When I say a good book, I mean nothing too refined and stuffy but also nothing too silly and ghetto. Something that is relatable, interesting, and recognizable to my own life.
So right now I’m reading Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. Who would think I’d be reading this; a book by a middle-aged, white, business-woman. She’s rich and married, no kids but two houses. The works. But I picked it up because it was on a table at B&N.
Anyway, this book is actually teaching me things. Ultimately, I’m not thinking about this woman’s trials and tribulations. I’m taking her experiences and knowledge and applying it to my own life.
Guess what? I’m also in a book group. Not really sure if it can be considered a group since it’s just me and a friend but we’ve been reading and emailing thoughts and ideas about how we can cleanse our bodies and souls like this Elizabeth woman. I mean not everyone can just pick up and travel to an Indian Ashram for a year like her. One of the ideas that my “group” had was letting go. What’s meant by that is taking something that you’ve been holding on to and just coming to terms with it. It was suggested to “jot down all [of your issues] on a paper and burning it or throwing it in the river or burying it somewhere.”
I haven’t decided what I’m going to let go of but I’m currently taking it into deep thought. If something this simple could relieve me of a lifetime of stress why not do it?
So in closing, will you join me in a letting go ceremony? No designated place or time. We don’t have to see each others faces. Just do it with me in spirit. Most of us need it anyway. This is probably why we’re so angry, cursing each other out on the train and such. SMH.

1 comment: