Saturday, July 31, 2010

Junkyard Junkie

I used to be embarrassed when my father dug into the pile of junk that was placed in front of someone’s house. I would look around to see whose watching as I watched him dust off an old table or chair and explain what he could do to revive the item back to life for our home. Anyway, let’s title him Junkyard Junkie Sr.
I’ve become Junkyard Junkie Jr. I think all naturals are. Maybe my dad wasn’t the best example but when we naturals hear about a product we immediately jump up and buy it even though we have other unfinished recommendations sitting on our shelves or at the bottom of our mother’s closets (inny @ Don). Even if it isn’t a suggestion we add it to our collection. This all leads me to the question of what products really work.
Personally, I am a natural 4b. My set of products includes things advised by naturals from all ranges. Some of them are not even my ethnicity. Some have been doing this natural hair thing for ages. Some have had success with just water while others have soul glo juice dripping from the ends (another inny @ Don).
Does all that matter? Do these “advisors” really have the knowledge we suppose they do? I mean, if providers like YouTube weren’t existent, would we have all of these products (I’m not knocking YouTube. Because of it, I became natural and confident)? Regardless, I just want us to be more conscious of the money we spend, the time we waste, and the energy we use when buying and testing these products. Still stick by your advisors. I’ve had many positive experiences, but don’t simply buy into peoples experiences irrationally.
Here are some products I have heard about and use. Remember, I am an Black, female with a 4b texture and have only been natural for a little over a year. Use at your own risk!




These products are what I use to clean my hair (from left to right):

After it's washed and still wet, I apply:

Throughout the week, I will add:

No comments:

Post a Comment