Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ain't No Stopping Me Now

“When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we don’t see the ones which open for us.”
-Alexander Graham Bell

We’ve all heard this quote many times before. Well, at least the first part. The second part rarely gets acknowledged. However, it’s this section that truly applies to the feelings and actions we have when the first section occurs.

I’m dealing with this very issue now on so many levels. Career wise, I’ve been working at a place for a couple of years and I’m more than ready to move on. Like most people, I complain and mope, but recently an opportunity has come for me to move on. With all the complaining I do, one would expect me to jump at it and never look back. But I’ve built my routine around this first place. I’ve come accustomed to working with these people who I spend most of my day with. On the other hand, if I don’t leave now I may as well set up living quarters at my workplace and live there forever. What is holding me back? The comfort of the known.

The same notion goes for those who won’t let go of the toxic people in their lives. If you know such a person will not add any positive energy to your well-being, but you can’t let go of them, it’s just your insecurity playing with your emotions. Unreliable boyfriends, dramatic friends, and family members who suck you dry just because their “family” all fit the criteria of who should be either cut off entirely or held at a distance. This is starting to sound like I’m going off on a tangent but it all relates. We hold on to people, things, relationship and jobs for so long thinking we may regret letting go.

1 comment:

  1. Very good points made Checalyn. This thing called life can be complicated at times. As long as you learn and grow from these things and take the right steps to change up these situations...a person is on the right the path in this journey called life.

    ReplyDelete