Monday, September 27, 2010

That Mr. T. Kelly to you!

Trey Songz. I like him. And many of you out there do too. Nevertheless, there are the handfuls of critics who don’t like him due to his equivalent styles of his predecessors like R. Kelly, Aaron Hall and any other male crooner before his time. Personally I think that every artist that we love today is a replica of the artists that have had their time previously. Someone has to fill their spot, right.

But Tremaine Aldon Neverson has come a long way. He emerged as this rapper singer or singer rapper. Similar to Drake, Trey had a soulful voice but wanted to thug it out. Initially this personally disorder got him nowhere. So after being advised, he chose to serenade us with ballads instead of bars. 5 years later, Trey has missed the mark again. Before reading on, remember that this is my blog which means only my opinion is stated.

It’s not that he's completely lost but I'm noticing that something is missing in comparison to the last album. I know that the two can't be the same and some may even say, "Ni**as want my old shit, buy my old album!" Thanks Jay. But seriously Trey while you're giving us Passion, Pain, Pleasure we’re missing you being Ready.

On PPP Trey seems more robotic as if he's trying to fit into some mold of the pop world. On top of that I heard hints of The Dream, in “Red Lipstick” where Trey repeats choruses and lines over and over again. Then the ultimate happened, and I didn't even want to take it here, but he really did pull a couple of R. Kelly’s in “Alone.” Lastly, I didn’t notice as much sexiness as in the past. Trey didn’t come as hard as he did on “I Invented Sex” or “Neighbors Know My Name.” He only comes close with “Doorbell.”

Fortunately there was still some Trey evidence left. For instance, you can still imagine those crazy faces he makes just by listening to the way he sings the lyrics. There’s actually an ode to that, “Love Faces.”

To conclude, I believe that real fans will not enjoy Passion, Pain, Pleasure especially if you’re looking for something to continue your wet dreams of the last album Ready.


PS. He didn’t even say his coined phrase on this album, “YUP!” I want my money back.

No comments:

Post a Comment